image - Research Publications 2

Publication Collection/HERDC

Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC)

The Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) Return is an annual return submitted to the Department of Education. HERDC is research income based on research publication data submitted by Universities  Research publications can be any published piece of work resulting from academic research. Categories included in the HERDC Collection are:

  • Book – Authored Research (A1)
  • Book Chapter – Commercial Publisher (B)
  • Journal Article – Refereed, Scholarly Journal (C1)
  • Conference Publication – Full Paper Refereed (E1)

UNSW Research Outputs System (ROS)

ROS is UNSW's system for capturing and reporting research publications and outputs. It is designed to help reduce the time and effort spent on managing publication and research outputs across the University and offers a number of functionalities to support researchers at UNSW.

ROS finds and retrieves your publications from the web by searching a range of data sources. It collects these publication records into a single area for you to claim or reject. ROS searches a number of well known journal databases to bring in records of papers published by researchers. The sources currently searched are: Scopus, Web of Science, arXiv, PubMed, RePEc, dblp. As not everyone’s publications will appear in one of the online data sources, it is also possible to add publication records manually.

ROS then feeds information about your publications into a number of systems including UNSW’s Business Reporting & Intelligence, & Data Governance (BRIDG), the Research Gateway and a number of Faculty webpages.

To ensure your publications are up to date

  • Login to ROS
  • Check ‘My Publications’ to ensure all pending items have been claimed or rejected
  • Check your 2013 publications list to ensure it is complete
  • Check your HERDC tab to ensure all eligible publications are nominated

For help using ROS visit the ROS online guide (accessible from UNSW computers only) or contact the Faculty Outreach Librarian.

Back to Top